Clinical Mastercard Foundation Fellow: Student mental health and wellbeing
Solid Minds is a private, independent outpatient mental health clinic located in Kigali, Rwanda licensed by the Ministry of Health. We provide excellent, evidence-based psychological services to individuals, couples, families, and children. We also have employee assistance programmes, offer capacity building, consultation, training and supervision, as well as deliver student wellness programmes with educational institutions.
We are starting a new and exciting 3-year project in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Programme that will promote mental health and wellness for Mastercard Foundation Scholars at Partner Organisations across Africa.
This programmes aims to:
- Build capacity of up to 15 African-based Partner Organisations through a tailor-made programme to improve awareness of mental health issues and identify students at high risk.
- Reduce stigma and increase knowledge among the Mastercard Foundation Scholar and alumni community by developing a range of online resources as well as recorded or live webinar/workshops throughout each year of the programme.
- Provide individual counselling and evidence-based interventions for up to 30 Scholars per year within Rwanda.
We are looking for Clinical Mastercard Foundation Fellows that have clinical training and therapeutic experience and are comfortable working across multiple aspects of the programme to support the development and implementation of specific activities in the first year of a multi-year programme. They will be eager to make a difference in the lives of African students and contribute to the success of this programme.
We will be recruiting 1 or 2 Mastercard Foundation Clinical Fellows to be based in Kigali, Rwanda. The Mastercard Foundation Fellow/s will represent the voices of other Mastercard Foundation Scholars and alumni in the creation, coordination, and execution of tasks related to different elements of the programme with a specific focus on our direct services to Mastercard Foundation Scholars. They will work closely with the project leadership providing support to the successful implementation of the programme activities. This is a 1-year contract with the potential to extend pending circumstances.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- You will support us in reducing stigma around mental health, build capacity of educational institutions, and provide supervised clinical services
- You will collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary, integrated team
- You will support the Clinical team in the development of clinical processes and protocols for the direct services we’ll offer the Mastercard Foundation Scholars
- You will contribute in supporting risk management processes and cases
- Under supervision you will:
- Provide exemplary therapeutic services to scholars utilising evidence-based therapeutic practices.
- Establish strong therapeutic alliance with your clients while maintaining professional boundaries and respecting confidentiality
- You will participate in regular supervision of counselling cases and procedures and proactively engage with supervisors
- You will provide timely and accurate clinical documentation
- You will perform all duties in a manner consistent with ethical principles of mental health professionals and Solid Minds’ Code of Conduct.
- You will be involved in supporting our stigma reduction and capacity building activities
- You will contribute to activities that raise awareness of positive mental health and well-being among the Scholar community
- You will contribute to the design and implementation of stigma reduction programmes
- You will contribute to building the capacity of mental health services within 15 Mastercard Foundation partner organisations across the continent.
- You will be responsible for ensuring the voice of Mastercard Foundation Scholars and alumni from all populations are represented with equity
- As we design our work, you will keep the voices of the diverse Mastercard Scholar population in mind in everything that we do
- You will think of ways to involve the Mastercard Scholar network in the activities we develop
- You may support with the facilitation of workshops and reflective groups for Mastercard Foundation Scholars and alumni
- You will be contributing to the growth of Solid Minds as an organisation beyond the scope of this project
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Mastercard Scholar alumni
- Master’s degree (MA, MSc) in Clinical Psychology or similar mental health field
- Graduated from a clinical psychology programme or similar type of programme
- Trained in models of counselling, with clinical experience
- At least 1 year of work experience in clinical work, and/or with NGO, non-profit, or start-up organisations (internship, volunteer work, etc.)
- Experience working with vulnerable populations directly through an internship, volunteer work, work experience, or lived experience
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to provide person-centered care
- A high level of compassion and empathy
- An openness and sensitivity to exploring the roles of culture, background, and racial identity in clinical practice
- A clear understanding of and commitment to professional and personal boundaries in a small community practice
- Familiar with the notion of confidentiality and ethics
- Commitment to lifelong learning as a clinician
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- Ability and experience to conduct therapy, meetings, and other job tasks via online platforms when needed
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- High levels of creativity, and innovative problem-solving
- Natural collaborator who enjoys working in teams
- Strong interpersonal skills: clear and effective communication style, emotional intelligence, introspection, and self-awareness
- Ability to identify and solve problems early on
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience in related fields such as student well-being, education, international development, refugee support
- Additional certified training in evidence-based practices such as CBT, Solution-Focused Therapy, or Motivational Interviewing Additional language abilities particularly French
- Skilled in giving and receiving feedback
Why Join the Team?
- We offer an excellent and flexible working atmosphere
- A supportive environment where we prioritise our employees personal and professional growth
- We will provide a stipend
- Potential for accruing clinical hours toward international licensure
Please submit a letter of interest and a detailed CV here. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and experience as well as at least two professional references. You must also have the authorisation to work in East Africa to apply. Should you have any inquiries, please reach out to us at email@example.com. Rolling applications accepted, but looking to hire ASAP. Please note we will only be contacting those who will be moving to the next steps.